At the beginning of this year, there are so many conversations about gym schedule of Brandel Chamblee and Rory Mcllroy. Rory guarded his time at the gym, at the same time, Brandel did not know if it could make him injure and break his game. I am so surprised at spending time going to the gym of them.
The golfer does a lot of exercises that many people know, but the point is I do not have any knowledge about what they eat before, after and during their games. Therefore, I decided to speak to experts who have much experience in fitness and nutrition. So, I understand some aspects of nutrition which is very important and necessary for athletes.
I think we almost used to feel our mind like hard to focus on the ball and think of something else when we had a shot. You may see me stupid if I tell you all of these I’ve just spoken are relevant to time, quantity and the quality of what you eat on that day and the day before. It sounds silly because we are still eating hot dogs and drinking beers during the game. But if you truly want to be a professional golf player or just play golf better, you need to care about your nutrition.
First of all, let’s see some details about burning caloric during a round. I have some information from Dr. Greg Wells
- During all holes in a round, the golf players will lose from eight-hundred to one thousand two hundred calories while driving a golf cart and from one thousand five hundred to two thousand while walking. It depends on speed, weight, climate, the terrain of course
- The swing in golf is an exercise which does not need oxygen. On the contrary, you need to breathe when you walk on the hills. Generally, it’s a process which use proteins, carbs, and fats to boost energy.
- You will use fats and carbs to perform. Complex carbs are better than other carbs because they have a lot of fiber and hardly have effects on your levels of blood sugar.
For instance, you will play at 11 am. You have to eat twice: 3-4 hours in advance and 1 hour in advance.
8 am. You should have a meal which is contained carbs, fats, and proteins. You could oats, eggs and green vegetables.
10 am. You could eat a snack that will conserve your levels of blood sugar. You maybe eat a banana or yogurt.
As you know, we have eighteen holes so we will separate this period into three parts. Each part has 6 holes. All we need is full and correct nutrition including carbs, proteins and good fats. Firstly, the mix of a banana with nuts and full grain biscuits on the fourth hole. Secondly, berry fruits and proteins on the eleventh hole.
Thirdly, an apple and peanut butter on the sixteenth hole.
The meal after playing is very important for the golf player, it helps mental toughness in golf. For advice, you should have a meal as the same as the first meal that you ate 3 hours in advance of playing.
We can not live for lack of water. When you lose water, you will feel some evidence are anxiety, headaches, chills or dry mouth. So it’s too late if you already feel thirsty.
During playing, the golf player can get rid of two-five pounds on average. One pound lost is equal to sixteen oz of losing water. But it bases on climate and body types. So you should use the scale before and after playing to know how much water you need to drink.
Normally, you should drink enough water before playing. It’s about sixteen oz water every three to five holes. If you play golf in the hot climate, you need to drink more. After the game, you can use sports drinks, but any alcoholic drink or coffee drink has to be rejected.
- Drink twelve oz water before walking.
- Drink twelve or sixteen oz water during breakfast.
- Drink twelve or sixteen oz water during warmup.
- Drink sixteen or twenty oz water every three or five holes during the game.
Nutrition for golf players will impact on your performance and your result. It seems complex and hard to do but if you want a great performance, you need to have a plan for nutrition.
All information of this article is just for reference. The most important thing is you have to consult your doctor to know your specific condition and what nutrition plan is suitable.